TITLE: Administrative Assistant (Front Office)
REPORTS TO: Port Finance Director and Port Manager
CLASSIFICATION: Regular Full-Time, Non-Exempt
DATE: November 2017
This position is responsible for assisting in operating the main Port office, providing exceptional customer service to all Port customers and the public. The person filling this position must reflect a professional, cheerful, and courteous demeanor at all times. Duties include customer service, public relations, general office operations and special projects.
CONTROLS OVER WORK:
This position performs under the direction supervision of the Port Finance Director and Port Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES INCLUDE:
- Provides outstanding, friendly customer service to all Port customers over the phone, in writing and in person.
- Opens and closes the office, including making coffee, checking voicemail and keeping the office tidy and neat.
- Light janitorial duties around the office including vacuuming, dusting, organizing storage room and office restroom cleaning.
- Processes incoming and outgoing mail, including receipting incoming payments.
- Provides clerical services, including filing, researching and assisting each Port department as instructed by supervisor.
- Assists in tariff administration, cashiering and bookkeeping.
- Prepares, understands and administers moorage and boatyard agreements and other documentation and records to assure accurate, timely billing and collection of revenues.
- Maintains working knowledge of Port tariff to understand pricing and operating rules. Applies tariff requirements to customer situations in accordance with established procedures and with the assistance of the Finance Director and Port Manager.
- Responsible for cashiering functions, beginning and end-of-day processes including cash drawer counts, end of day reconciliation, making daily bank deposits, and overall control and safeguarding of cash in accordance with the Port’s cash handling policies.
- Maintains accurate and current information regarding the status of each slip.
- Responsible for maintaining and administering the Port’s wait list.
- Assists with marina and boatyard contract management, including setting up and maintaining files, scanning, copying, mailing and customer contact.
- Tracks and verifies Certificates of Insurance for Port marina/boatyard tenants.
- Assists with marina/boatyard customer compliance in all aspects, including contacting customers regarding insurance and registration requirements.
- Assists Finance Director with all aspects of accounts receivable, including billing, mailing, and collections.
- Responsible for marina/boatyard reservations and slip assignments.
- Maintains general office equipment, schedule maintenance and service calls as needed.
- Responsible for website changes, working closely with the Port’s website provider.
- Responsible for maintaining, purchasing, and stocking kitchen and office supplies, including maintaining the copier and necessary supplies.
- Maintains, distributes, and files all incident reports for the Port.
- Cross-trains with other office personnel.
- Perform other duties, responsibilities, and special projects as assigned.
- The position will primarily be based in the Port of Ilwaco office and is performed primarily indoors
- The employee may be asked to travel to meetings in or out of town
- This position works on or near water
- This position requires repetitive computer usage
- Work requires exposure to ambient sound, emissions, and magnetic surfaces from office equipment
- Typically, the noise and odor levels in the work environment are moderate, however, there may be exposure to loud noised and foul odors on a daily basis due to marine activity and maintenance and repair
- Job-related contact either by telephone, in person or through written communication with the Port’s elected officials, coworkers, outside auditors, outside consultants, vendors and other business-related individuals or agencies
- Extensive contact with the public and required to be professional and courteous with all contacts
- Physically perform the essential duties of the job
- The nature of Port operations are cyclical and a higher level of customer activity will be present in the spring and summer months
- Will be required to work alternating Saturdays from May to September
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETANCIES:
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Three full years of successful experience in a similar job of comparable scope is highly desirable
- Must have an expert level understanding of Microsoft software including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Must be comfortable with PC based applications, including web-based systems
- Must possess excellent administrative skills, customer service skills, and the ability to act as an ambassador to the community
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, visitors, customers, and vendors
- Must be an excellent communicator orally and in writing
- Organized, efficient, creative, and capable of implementing multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to read, write, understand, and verbally communicate the spoken English word to understand company handbooks, policies and procedures, and instructions for operating equipment, tools, and office equipment or handling hazardous chemicals
- Valid State vehicle operator’s license
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills with a diverse customer base
- Successfully manage time and prioritize tasks within given parameters
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, Commissioners, other agencies and public in general
- Communicate effectively, both orally and written, with individuals and groups regarding all issues or regulations effecting the Port
This job description should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, such as working in other areas to cover absences or relief, or to otherwise balance the workload.
The Port of Ilwaco complies with all federal and state rules and regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of race; color; national origin; sex; age; disability; sexual orientation, including gender identity; disability or military action veteran status. This holds true for all employment. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the Employer and Employee and is subject to change as the needs of the Employer and requirements of the job change.